Top 3 Benefits of Meniscus Surgery
Did you know that a meniscus injury is one of the most common knee injuries among athletes and older active adults? A sudden twist or a wrong turn can cause a meniscus to tear.
Over time the meniscus cartilage begins to weaken, making the knee unstable or, in some cases, lock up. A torn meniscus causes pain, swelling, difficulty in bending, and getting the leg to straighten out.
If you have tried non-surgical treatments such as physical therapy, R.I.CE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation), and anti-inflammatories, it may be time to see an orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation.
There are innovative arthroscopic surgical options to repair or replace your meniscus. According to recent studies, Meniscus surgery has high success rates ranging from 60-90%. The best long-term outcomes often depend on early diagnosis and early treatment.
There are three important benefits of meniscus surgery:
- Elimination of Pain. Studies have shown that 85% of repairs offer relief from pain.
- Reduce your Risk of More Joint Damage. Surgically correcting the meniscus can prevent or slow down the development of arthritis from the injury point.
- Return To an Active Lifestyle. Keep moving to enjoy your life and maintain your health.
Dr. Ronak Patel is an expert in meniscus repair, and offers second opinions for knee pain. Call to get help or learn more at (630) 929-2249 or visit www.nwindianasportsdoc.com.
Dr. Ronak Patel is a Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon offering a full range of care for all knee and shoulder problems with a special interest in complex knee disorders.
At a Glance
Ronak M. Patel M.D.
- Double Board-Certified, Fellowship-Trained Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Past Team Physician to the Cavaliers (NBA), Browns (NFL) and Guardians (MLB)
- Published over 49 publications and 10 book chapters
- Learn more